1-Renders mechanical strength
2-Serve as food reservoir
3-It maintains the shape of the cell
4-It regulates the intercellular transport
5-It regulates the expansion of cells
6-Provides protection against pathogens
7-These structures have signalling devices against the invasion and attacks of pathogens
1. They are an essential structure for viability.
2. They are composed of unique components found nowhere else in nature.
3. They are one of the most important sites for attack by antibiotics.
4. They provide ligands for adherence and receptor sites for drugs or viruses.
5. They cause symptoms of disease in animals.
6. They provide for immunological distinction and immunological variation among strains of bacteria.